Monday, September 3, 2012

Top 5 TV Shows

I don't watch a lot of t.v., to be perfectly honest, because it's hard for me to get into a plot and care about characters for eight years, especially when unnecessary romances and drama springs up. But there are shows that manage to tickle my imagination, rope in my heart, and overall awe me. So here are my current Top 5 TV Shows, until Hannibal finally airs.

5. Criminal Minds: I LOVE Criminal Minds! This crime drama follows a close-knit team of the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit as they hunt down serial killers and the sort. Ugh, it's so intelligent and the team is so likeable that it makes me squeal. It doesn't hurt that the unexpectedly delectable Matthew Gray Gubler plays the adorably awkward Dr. Spencer Reid to cheek-pinching perfection. I don't like watching it before season 3, because I love David Rossi (and totally believe he and Aaron "Hotch" Hotchner need to be together). One of the highlights of the show are variety of guest stars they get and the roles they play. Fantastico!

4. The Newsroom: The Newsroom is a new show on HBO that makes me want to pick up a  newspaper and figure out what's going on with the world around me. Anything that makes me want to broaden my horizons gets a pat on the back from me. Plus, the dialogue and the characters are witty and HILARIOUS!! I love watching shows with quirky banter that never misses a beat, and this show delivers on it. I wish I had HBO to watch it more often, but alas, it is the internet for me. The Newsroom is about the drama and the runnings of an evening news show.

3. Law & Order SVU: Who doesn't love SVU? The characters, the crimes, the CHARACTERS!! Christopher Meloni and Mariska Hargitay were superb as detective partners who specialized in sexual crimes along with Ice-T, Richard Belzar, the lovely B.D. Wong, Dann Florek, and a variety of D.A.'s and M.E.'s. The chemistry between the cast is infectious, and the crimes themselves are disturbing, yet fascinating. Not every case ended successfully, and you watched it affect the detectives in their own ways, but their personal lives never took away from the premise of the show. It's hard not to care about these people, and that may be why it's the only Law & Order series still airing.

2. Modern Family: I'm sure a lot of us flocked to the show to see more of Sofia Vergara a.k.a. God's gift to anyone attracted to women, but I stayed for the love I developed for this crazy, but loving family. The show follows the Prichett, Dunphy, and Prichett-Tucker families and how they go through life as dysfunctional as they are. None of them are perfect, but they all mean well, and are hilarious as they try to show it. Sofia's Gloria Prichett is loud and gorgeous, but Phil and Luke Dunphy, plus odd-couple Cameron and Mitch are what keep my sides bursting and heart warming. The show also manages to be FUNNY, which is rare for a comedy these days.

1. Game of Thrones: What can I say about this heart-wrenching show? Well, it manages to mix sex and politics extraordinarily well. It was a stunningly-talented cast, and a tendency to kill off the people you'd least expect. And if George R.R. Martin expects me to stick with this show, he better keep Tyrion Lannister alive. This is probably one of the most human shows in the fantasy genre, where every character has their terrible flaws, yet have some surprising good points, and although we all pick our teams (and there are so many to choose from), we find ourselves sympathizing with the enemy. Not every character is evil or good, and that extends to every person that fights under their banner. It's a hypnotizing and fabulous show, and I can't wait for April to get here so I can get my fix again! Team Stark, woot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment