Thursday, September 20, 2012

Top 5 Things in Pop Culture I Actually Like

My post on the annoying things in pop culture is by far my most popular Top 5 post, to my slight confusion. I decided to respond to that by making a Top 5 of things I am liking that are popular right now, just to balance everything out.

5. Blogging: No, I'm not talking about the majority of the writers on E! Online. Thanks to sites like Blogger (gotta represent), Tumblr, and more, people have more and more ways to publish their works, expertise, or random thoughts and reach a lot of people. I can't tell you how many times I had a problem and found 4 or 5 blogs dedicated to similar issues like mine, and written by regular people who knew what I was going through! Some blogs are more serious than others, but that's the fun in blogging! Every blog and blogger you find are unique in their own way. It's only when people start up a blog and considers themselves professional writers or consultants that I get a little annoyed.


4. YouTube covers: YouTube shows I may be iffy about, but you won't find me hating on the concept of YouTube song covers. Are they all fantastic? No, but some of them are, and some of them are geniuses when they take a song and practically make it their own. With the accessibility of YouTube, we have opposite-gender versions of songs like never before! We have remixes we didn't know we wanted! Partially thanks to Justin Bieber (I can't believe I'm saying this) but we know there are talented people on YouTube! And so many of them deserve to be heard! It's like a free audition and a way to grow your fanbase on a global scale, and I love that!


3. Honey Badger: It has long been known in the animal kingdom that the honey badger does not care. It'll fight a snake because it was bored. It'll chase a leopard. It was given the 'Badass' title at birth and hasn't let it go, especially not without a fight. Recently, the human kingdom has taken notice, and many have attempted to tread the path of the honey badger. It's the less-slutty version of YOLO, and anything that's less slutty, I'll give it a nod.




 2. Twitter: TWITTER, OMG!!! I'll admit, I was very against Twitter and the idea of tweeting anything. A social networking site base on the status update? I'll pass; Facebook has games. But I made an account, then started tweeting, and once I discovered the hashtag, it was all over for me. Now, some of the trending topics (TT's) are the most ratchet topics you'll ever see online outside of Urban Dictionary, but the people that come alive on Twitter late at night are hilarious! It really is a self-esteem booster. Twitter does have a light side; back in April, a bunch of Toonami fans (including myself) banded together on Twitter and over the course of a couple of months, were able to convince Cartoon Network to revive Toonami, which is now airing on Saturday nights on Cartoon Network. See? Social media can bring change!


1. Rage Comics: I. Love. Me. Some. Rage Comics! Ugh, they're so great! From what I've gathered, people (usually Redditors) will make their own comics that are posted online. There's an app on Apple where you can read the featured ones and save your favorites. Internet memes galore! Me gusta! Forever alone! Poker face! The hilarity never ends! Right now it may be just a nerd thing, but it's growing, and it's a growth I'll gladly help nourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment