Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Top 5 Holidays

I'm currently watching Nightmare Before Christmas, as per my usual Halloween and Christmas tradition, and it got me to thinking about the holidays (aside from them being upon on us). I thought a holidays post would be a nice change from all of my movie-related ones and decided to put this up! Enjoy!

5. Easter: I'm not the most religious person out there, but I do love going to church on Easter! Guess why?..... If you guessed the little bits of bread they serve, you're right! In church, they usually kind of recreate the last supper by passing out the body (the bread) and blood (grape juice) of Christ, and as far as I'm concerned, they can keep the grape juice. I'll go to church once a year, and it's on Easter for that bread.
Now, I do love the colors and the lilies, and I enjoy setting up Easter egg hunts for my youngest brother, but that bread kind of does it for me. I don't know, once you live with entitled toddlers, they kind of suck the fun out of any holiday concerning gifts or candy, so I don't jump up and down in excitement over it much anymore.



4. Father's Day: As an out-and-proud daddy's girl, any excuse I get to celebrate my father, I absolutely love. It's an excuse for me to attempt to buy or make him something and peruse through the cards and cry over all of the sweet messages. I wish people made a bigger deal out of it aside from sales on tools or grills, but I sure celebrate it like Christmas on the inside.











3. Halloween: I'm sure this confuses some people, especially those who knew about my emo/goth stage in junior high (I'm not proud of it). Halloween isn't my number one, or at least two? As much as I love finding cool costumes and dressing up, I'm getting really sick of it as an adult. I can't go trick-or-treating, I can't drive in streets full of children, and Halloween got so much attention in the mid-2000's that I got sick of it early on. I like passing out candy and costume-shopping, but once I find a year-round costume store, well...
One of the perks of Halloween, however, is that it's NMBC season! People are putting out their Jack Skellington merchandise and I'm not the only weirdo squealing over skeletons, rag-dolls, and ghost dogs.

2. Thanksgiving: FOOD!! Yep, that's my main reason. I feel like it's an over-looked holiday, especially when it's smack between the interactive Halloween and the gifty Christmas, but guys, we get to eat!! A lot!! And the food is so GOOD, especially in the South! We'll put the most random food in and it's just fabulous!
Turkey Day for me isn't about Native Americans or pilgrims, or good will, just good food and good company. As much as they drive me crazy sometimes, it is nice to see my family come over for Thanksgiving and just catch up. And pass around my Christmas list. And eat the food they brought.
Yeah, food.


1. Christmas: The end-all, be-all best holiday, and not just for the gifts! I love the spirit of Christmas, the music, the stories (religious and non), and the feeling of just making everyone I love happy! I get excited in August for this day! I miss decorating the house and the tree for Christmas, and seeing my great-grandmothers. Because I live in Texas, we only get snow when we don't need it, but we used to regularly get snow flurries, which adds to the jolliness.
I'll be honest, I love the gifts. I love searching and picking out the perfect stuff for my friends and family, and I love seeing what they thought to give me, even if it's something off my list. My entire life, I wanted to be Santa when I grew up, and I still do.

No comments:

Post a Comment