Saturday, December 1, 2012

5 Shows I Didn't Expect to Like

As everyone is more than aware, there are a lot of crappy shows on TV, especially nowadays. There are shows that try too hard to be raunchy, hip, groundbreaking, etc. instead of trying to be, you know, good. So, to save time, I usually judge by the TV spots if I'm going to risk emotional investment in a new show. Then my roommate, who tries out almost every new show, appeared and now I'm watching things I swore never to do. So here are the top 5 shows I didn't mean to watch, or like, but did.

5. Make It Or Break It (ABC Family): I watched probably the last four episodes of MIOBI, a show about gymnastic chicks, and although I can't say I was hooked, I did manage to care a bit about some of the characters; namely newcomer Jordan, played by Chelsea Tavares. She had a heart-wrenching storyline (that I totally called) that didn't get enough attention before the series ended for good this year. Where's the justice?! Ultimately, I didn't care about the main plot or the sport, but that Jordan girl...wow!





4. Smash (NBC): The Broadway musical drama starring an ensemble cast, which includes Debra Messing and former American Idol contestant Katherine McPhee, was one of the last shows I wanted to see. I saw the last... two? Three? And part of me still doesn't care. But the drama of the musical falling apart and everyone scrambling to make it work was fun, especially watching Debra Messing and her writing partner try to write new music. The show included guest spots by Nick Jonas and Uma Thurman, and next season will feature appearances from Oscar winner and former AI winner Jennifer Hudson, Messing's former Will & Grace co-star Sean Hayes, and Liza freaking Minnelli. The drama of the stage draws in all players.

3. Sherlock (BBC): One of the modern-day versions of super-sleuth Sherlock Holmes, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as Sherlock and Dr. Watson respectively. To be honest, I wasn't too excited about the resurgence of Holmes' popularity, not because I didn't like him, but because I'm never excited about modern re-tellings. My step-mom made me watch a few episodes and I surprisingly liked the show, against my previous reluctance. Sherlock is odd and socially botched, but it works, and Watson holds his own as his own entity instead of just Sherlock's little sidekick, as he's sometimes portrayed. I haven't watched anymore episodes since then, but if the opportunity ever arose, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it.



2. Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family): Four girls running around, trying to solve a murder mystery of their bitch best friend and NOT telling appropriate authority figures? I immediately wanted to ground them all. But then these girls got themselves into the most ridiculous situations: lesbianism, dating a teacher, constant habit of kissing sister's men. I had to see what kind of ridiculousness these females could get themselves into. I don't follow the show religiously, and sometimes I try to quit all together, but I always come back and get frustrated with whatever they're doing. I've never seen four people who needed to move more than they do.


1. Glee (Fox): Oh, Glee. Even the music aspect didn't appeal to me at first, and the fact that Kevin McHale took the show after the break up of NLT made it more bitter to me. But then I saw the season 2 Sexy episode and Brittany Pierce got me involved. Now I've seen almost every episode and no mater how irritating Rachel gets, no matter how awful the numbers and the writing gets, I keep watching. I care about Santana. I care about Quinn. I care about Kurt, Burt, Blaine, Puck, and so many other characters that no matter how bad the story screws them, I want to know they're okay.

Damn, I hate what Glee's made me.

No comments:

Post a Comment