Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Top 5 Annoying Trends in Movies

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that Hollywood is failing to deliver some pretty good movies. Some are passable, a lot of them aren't worth the time to see, and many of them are pandering to a specific audience that they forget to just make a decent film. There have especially been a lot of trends in movies lately that are driving me crazy and am tired of seeing, and here they are!

5. CGI: (Examples: Disney and Pixar, Dreamworks) I grew up during the Disney Renaissance (as you might've noticed before) so this comes from a bit of a biased place on my part. But I'm really, REALLY sick of seeing all these CGI movies, especially in place of 2D animation. Some movies I approve of, like Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and Shrek, but most of them, especially by Pixar..... just no. Those movies all seem the same and they are just hard for me to watch. Yuck.

4. Book/Movie Franchises: (Examples: Twilight, The Hunger Games) Let me completely honest here, I've never seen nor read The Hunger Games, and I will make a conscious effort to make sure it never happens. Nothing against the series, I'm just sick of everybody trying to find the next Harry Potter. It seems like Hollywood's tired of creating new material, so they just take books, turn them into TV series on ABC Family and the CW or try to turn them into blockbusters. Part of the magic of reading is building up my own damn imagination. I don't need you guys casting the characters I grew to love and popping my unique literary bubbles.

3. Rated 'R' Comedies: (Examples: The Change-Up, Bad Teacher) Everyone's trying to be ballsy. Everyone's trying to push the boundaries. STOP. Those movies usually end up showing the effort the writer's took in trying to be raunchy and jaw-dropping. Guys, it just looks sad now.

2. Long-Awaited Sequels: (Examples: Men in Black, Dumb and Dumber To) A sequel after a couple of years is one thing. Hell, after five years is even okay. This decade-long b.s., however, is getting out of hand. We really don't need to continue series that did well back in the 90's or early 00's. We should be trying to start new things. Thanks for the nostalgia, but the effect is simply gone.

1. Love Triangles: (Examples: Twilight, The Hunger Games) Twilight made being torn between two guys hot again, and it's infuriating. I suppose having those "Team This Guy" battles help sell tickets and merchandise, but it's getting out of hand. I'm sick of the love triangles getting promoted the most or being expanded on to bring in the teenage girls. Look, boybands are coming back; we have enough variety to choose from. Just give us a friggin' good story instead of the guys you think we think are hot. Comprende?

No comments:

Post a Comment