Sunday, June 24, 2012

Top 5 Annoying Trends in Popular Culture Today

Every generation goes through an obscene amount of stupid trends and phases, and since I'm a 90's kid, I can only truly speak on the crazy things my generation decided to deem cool. Sometimes it's stupid stuff in the media, sometimes it's stuff spread by the internet that "cool" kids decided to bring into the real world. Some of them aren't that bad, but a lot of them are going to be embarrassing things we're going not going to want to tell our kids. Here are the top 5 trends I can't wait to see disappear, and hopefully they'll do it soon.

5. Reality Shows: This one I'm not incredibly upset with, because I like certain reality shows, but I am getting pretty sick of seeing all of the replications with "special twists" and seeing families we weren't aware existed suddenly demanding our attention. Recently, there have been an explosion of music competition shows, like "The Voice", "Duets", and the American version of "X Factor", and with "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" launching the blended Kardashian-Jenner family into the spotlight, we're seeing more and more famous families deciding to put their lives on display. Jersey Shore helped put Jersey-anything on the reality tv map and even something-wives are getting shows ("Basketball Wives", "Real Housewives of (Insert Place Here)", and the short-lived "Rock Wives"). And don't forget the explosion of dating shows a few years ago that VH1 took and sprinted with!
Which brings me to my next issue: everyone's getting a damn show nowadays. Remember when you used to actually be able to do something well to get the spotlight? Me too. Now all you have to do is get pregnant young, or be from Jersey and get into public fights, or even just marrying the right person.
We're turning the most ridiculous (and occasionally, boring) people into celebrities, and making notoriety a right instead of an honored achievement.

4. YouTube Shows: This one doesn't really affect me  too much, because I rarely get on YouTube unless it's to listen to music or get my abridged fix, but some of these YouTube shows are getting a little too ridiculous. I don't completely understand why there are so many makeup channels, or this Shane Dawson fascination. They have an audience for their stuff, so good for them, but then we get the people who think they can do it too, and then the internet's full of people trying too hard and feeling entitled to hits and views.
It's even worse when some of them get on television for it. Obviously, the most famous YouTube star is Justin Bieber, but people like Fred and the Annoying Orange got series on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. I see a lot of people on YouTube that should be on tv, or be stand up comedians, but because they're not "cute" or are popular, they don't get recognized for their talent. I'd rather watch a Spoken Reasons stand up special or listen to Kingsley rant on the radio than watch the Annoying Orange show.
Now, I'm not hating or saying that the creators of these shows shouldn't be successful, because it's awesome that social media can be a launching pad for a career, because you being popular there means the people like whatever it is that you're putting out. But sometimes, the people like some of the most senseless stuff, and the rest of us kind of just have to go along with it. Not all of them are bad either; there are a lot of shows on YouTube I really enjoy and subscribe too. I guess I just wish that people would stop acting like the internet is going to make them a star and harass people for attention.

3. Disney Starlets: I know, this has been going on for years, but it really didn't become clear to me until I noticed that Disney Channel was trying hard to launch the careers of the "Good Luck Charlie" girl and the chick on "Suit Life on Deck". Disney just this conveyor belt of stars that they refuse to stop, or even just tweak the qualifications a little bit.
I don't care about every pretty girl that can sing, dance, AND act getting their own sitcom on the Disney Channel, so I don't watch that station. But Disney has Hollywood's balls in such a vice grip that these teenage, hormonal, probably becoming entitled and possibly on their way to an early meltdown, over-promoted girls are everywhere, and nobody can escape the mouse's wrath.
This may seem a little crazy, but I used to learn lessons while watching Disney shows, whether or not the stars of them were popular or not. Now it's the stupid punchlines, the albums and tv shows, and the public persona these stars have to put on to not piss off parents and lose a fanbase, when all they probably want to do is hang out with their friends without bodyguards and to sneak out of the house to be stupid without some people with a friggin' camera catching them as they climb over the fence.
That, and I just really don't care for these girls.

2. Zombies and the Apocalypse: If I ever hear about the Apocalypse these days (which already makes me want to roll my eyes), somebody, without fail, brings in the zombies. Boys (and some girls), I don't care how you're going to protect yourselves from the zombie virus, or what places in the city has the best vantage points, or anything regarding zombies. We're not going to sit here and chat about how awful the world would be if everyone we know and love became flesh-eating crazies.
I'd be less upset if most of these people would stop assuming everyone cared about this topic. Almost every person I know or meet wants to bust open their "Zombie Survival Guide" handbook and trade tips with me. This even refers to the apocalypse, which I'm not too concerned about happening. If it comes, it comes, I can't do anything about it. I'm all for people wanting to be prepared for the worst, but this is ridiculous. Once again, enjoy your fascination of choice, and hurrah if you find more people to share it with, but zombies are not a religion so stop trying to convert me. And no, you cannot have my shovel.

1. Dance Music: Pop music is in it's cycle of popularity again, but this time, people wanted to incorporate dubstep and techno into everything. Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Cobra Starship, almost everyone is bringing in dance music into every track they record. It's music, so freedom of speech and creativity for all, but it's making parts of my brain pop.
It doesn't have to be in almost every single song. It doesn't have to be experimented with by every single artist. This phase of music is actually making me excited for when rap comes back, and I can't handle a lot of that. I like some of dance music, but please guys, stop dropping the bass and leave the autotune alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment