Saturday, June 2, 2012

Top 5 Annoying Internet Abbreviations

We have different names for them: abbreviations, chat speak, tech lingo (I just made that one up) and in some ways, it's helpful to use them. "BTW" and "BRB" are short, to the point, and easy enough to understand and remember. But we all see the ridiculous things people use on Twitter and Facebook that drive us crazy and just look stupid. Here are the ones that don't make me just roll my eyes, but skip over the entire containing post completely!

5. FML (F*ck My Life): It's a matter of opinion if someone's life sucks or not, but seriously, we don't need to hear about it all over the internet. I wouldn't be so irritated with this one if I didn't have two or three people in my life who drop this phrase like it's slippery. I don't even like hearing it in real life conversation.

4. IDAGF (I Don't Give a F*ck): I really don't see the point in abbreviating this long of a phrase. Out of time? Say "Whatever!" "IDC" Or just a simple "F*ck Off!" I usually see this in a ranting paragraph from someone claiming not to give a damn when they obviously do. If you really don't care, don't bring it up or address it. And certainly don't use this annoying abbreviation.

3. IMO (In My Opinion): I don't really know why this one particularly bothers me. I don't even see if that often anymore. But once I DO see it.... ugh. I guess it looks like someone's trying to say "important" and once I finish the message, it turns out to usually not be so important after all. Maybe that's why I dislike it, because it looks like a lie.

2. HMU (Hit Me Up): It looks desperate and ridiculous! There, I said it! I see it on Facebook all the time: "Fool hmu!" "Wanna ride? hmu!" "hmu!" "hmu!" UGH!! SHUT UP!! "Call Me" will suffice, sir! And then those same people will post 5 minutes later "Damn! Quit blowing up my phone!" You invited us to this particular party, sir!

1. SMH (Shake My Head): Oh smh, a.k.a shaking my head. Shaking my damn head. I see this everywhere. It's used to express disappoint or disbelief at someone's actions and behavior, and it's exactly what I do every time I see someone use this.  I have something I say when a "smh" moment comes along: "Really?" And that usually gets the point across. If it doesn't, then they just proved my point. I wish I could make it to where smh never happened, and then my news feed would look a little better.

That's my top 5, and I already know before I turn off my laptop, I'll see at least the first two in someone's status.

No comments:

Post a Comment